Newsletter Signup

.

WIP IT GOOD



Today I offer for you my contribution as part of the blogfest inspired by the musical group Devo and their catchy song WHIP IT.  Elise Fallson and I are putting the song title…or rather a slightly altered version of it…to good use by encouraging participants to enlighten the blogosphere about their most recent [W]ork [I]n [P]rogress.  Guiding you through the process are a few prompts we came up with to answer in your own post, along with the opportunity to solicit CP’s (partners who exchange material for detail critique – usually chapter by chapter) or Beta Readers (test readers who read entire manuscripts and offer broad opinions)  if you’re looking for that.   
Without further ado, here are the details about my most recent project:

WIP Title:  Moving Fear (tentative)
Word Count (projected/actual so far): 62,500
Genre: YA Horror
How long have you been working on it?: Ten months. First draft complete, about to begin revisions.

Elevator Pitch (if you came across an agent in an elevator ride, what couple of lines would you use to summarize your book):  I have a book that has the look and feel of Kendare Blake’s ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD, the dread and intensity of Stephen King’s IT, and the mystery elements of THE HARDY BOYS.  In it, I pit my sixteen year loner protagonist against a demon who has been destroying families for centuries…specifically families who have just completed a move…by taking possession of a family member and terrorizing the household for a period before finally taking their lives.  Now it has found a victim in my hero’s family and he must figure out who it is, and a way to save them, before it’s too late.     

Brief Synopsis (300 words or less):  We are a planet on the move.  In the United States alone the average American moves 11.7 times in a lifetime.  The length of an average move approximates the distance from New York City to Des Moines, and involves 6,900 pounds of possessions.  It is one of those times when we are most vulnerable, and in people’s lives moving is the third most stressful event, behind only death and divorce.

That’s why IT chooses them.  That’s why IT has remained unnoticed for so long.

To hear other people tell it (including his own family), Chace Gidden is nothing but a sixteen year old military-brat...emphasis on brat. The constant uprooting and moving from state to state and school to school has left him withdrawn, bitter, with a tendency to act out following each of his father’s transfers.  But that was before, and as the saying goes…be careful what you wish for.  It appears his family is finally settling down, but only after losing his mother to cancer and a prank-gone-wrong tragically sentenced his younger brother to life in a wheelchair.  Now Chace finds himself in unfamiliar territory, attempting to make amends for past behavior and doing what little he can to help mend his broken family.

The move to Ox Bow was intended to be a fresh start, but unbeknownst to the Gidden’s something else has moved in with them.  The appearance of a mysterious black box in Chace’s room begins a chain of events that have repeated for centuries. Inside awaits an ancient evil, a demon that has chosen one of the Gidden’s as its next vessel to do its bidding.  It falls to Chace to do what no one has ever done before, figure out who that is and find a way to defeat the entity without killing its human host. His only help comes by way of the socially inept boy next door who’s desperate to make a friend and the girl who’s reluctant to let that happen.   But time is running out for the three of them as the malevolent force draws closer to obtaining the two things it hungers for most, mortal fear…and fresh souls.

Are you looking for a Critique Partner?  I already have a really good one, but the two of us might be interested in expanding.  Leave a note if you’re interested and we’ll see.

Are you looking for a Beta Reader? Definitely, after I finish my next round of revisions.



Please check out the other participant’s WIP’s from the list below.


 

55 comments

  1. Sounds like you have all your duckies in a row DL. How's the missus? Still praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome. I definitely want to read this! I wish I prepped today. I'll see if I can post something about my WiP. We'll see. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I'd love to read this even though I'm a chicken when it comes to horror! But what's in the black box!!!! Great synop and pitch--I need to take lessons from you. (:

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last paragraph really pulls me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and creepy! I'd love to read this. Excellent synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do horror, but you've got me hooked. I just have to complain because I spent literally almost an hour getting my synopsis down to 250 words. Got to 256 and left it there. Yours seems longer...not that I mind, but gee Don, I could have gone for a walk or something instead of all that chopping...grrr. In a nice friendly "I just want to play" sort of way...
    Tina @ Life is Good
    P.S Would love to beta read. Am already critique partnering her ENTIRE novel, so I'll be really busy with that. She wants it with a lice comb...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh perfectly creepy! Love it! I'd be up for a beta exchange if you're interested.
    Nice work, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. DL I first want to thank you for this challenge. I love to talk about my work and to promote it to other writers who will analyze it is a brilliant idea. As far as your premise I think it should be gtangbusters. I can see how the plot will strike just the right balance of fear and curiosity making the reader cringe but still continue reading to see if Chase can defeat the demon.

    On a side note, can you tell me how I get the list of participants to appear on my WIP post?

    Thanks so much for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dobson - at the bottom of the list there is a link that says GET THE CODE. Click on that and copy the code in your post (HTML mode).

      Delete
  10. Yup, I'd read it. It sounds like a great story, and congrats on getting through the first draft! Those things can be nasty, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've moved about 15 times *managed to dodge the demon* I can appreciate your uniquely wicked concept! I can also see how "IT" would be drawn to the turmoil! Intense!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks super interesting! I hope you'll let me read it when you're done :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent DL. That synopsis is text book...this is how you do it...worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, D.L.
    Chase sounds like he's been battered by his challenges, but still has to overcome. Good elements for an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an exciting read!!! Love the name and the premise of this fest! Sorry I didn't join.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a chicken when it comes to horror, but the story sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for hosting such a great blogfest. I can't wait to meet some new writing friends:)

    Your WIP got whipped good:) Sounds like it's about ready to hit the shelves. I love to be deliciously scared!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Obviously you know that I adore this book and would sell it to everyone like it was my own. I can't wait to read the revised version!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Stephen King so your tale definitely sparks my interest :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a very fun Blogfest! So many great ideas! I think horror in YA is a great market - not many writers approaching this, though teens today are interested in horror! Can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ummm, holy crap, your book sounds awesome! I love the premise

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your novel sounds riveting, DL! This line struck me most: "It falls to Chace to do what no one has ever done before, figure out who that is and find a way to defeat the entity without killing its human host." I want to know exactly what that means! Awesome premise. Keep it up and good luck with your revisions!

    Happy reading and writing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Don - I don't like 'nasties' .. I get frightened and have nightmares - well I think I do .. so I steer clear - but sounds intriguing and I'm sure I'll read it .. so keep on keeping on .. and good luck with all those revisions ... cheers and have a happy weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  24. I got chills just from the pitch! Sounds awesome, and freaky. Good luck with revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like the name Chace Gidden and your description of him. Sounds like an interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As a fan of ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD and Stephen King, this sounds fantastic! I'd Beta or crit this in a heartbeat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the synopsis, my kind of book I think :) Good luck with it!
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  28. Look at you and the Blogfest! YA Horror, I love your idea. Poor Chase. That black box sounds very creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic concept! It almost sounds like a YA Supernatural. Dark and intriguing.

    I would say your elevator pitch could use a little polish and trimming for conciseness (for example, "protagonist" is self-evident--who else would the book be about?)At the moment it sounds a bit formal and note-cardy--elevator pitches should sound a bit more conversational, but not "wordy".

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, that's a good story, and you did an amazing job with the pitch and synopsis.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds awesome! I'm currently reading Anna Dressed in Blood and loving it, although I'm not a fan of Stephen King horror. I love horror but am picky about it, lol. As long as your story isn't too overkill scary for me, I'm sure I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your WIP give me chill, DL. The good kind. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  33. All I can say is, way to build suspense! Yes, I'd read this. You had me at Stephen King and the Hardy Boys. Now I must go sample Anna Dressed in Blood.

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  34. The black box sounds pretty creepy! I love scary movies, but scary books seem too real to me and I end up with nightmares...I don't think I'd be a good cp on this one. Sorry....but sounds like a movie I'd love to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You've got my attention -- sounds like a very cool premise.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Absolutely awesome!

    This was much harder than I thought it would be...lol. However I loved the idea and really enjoyed participating!

    ReplyDelete
  37. DL, your story sounds creepy as heck, but I'd read it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks so much for doing this! It was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great stuff, I would love to read it! Thanks to you and Elise for hosting this blogfest, it has been great!

    ReplyDelete
  40. *Happy dance* I'm so thrilled to see a Horror novel as a WIP! There just isn't enough good horror being published. Yours sounds wonderful and you've done a professional job putting together the synopsis. (If you're planning to query agents, I'd suggest getting 3-4 more CPs though.) Thanks for letting me read a little about Chase and the evil demon. Good luck with it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Horror? Eeeeek! I'll have nightmares of IT chasing me------- and locking me up in that black box *shudders*
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sounds like a book I wouldn't want to be reading at night!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Enjoy working on your WIP. These days, I'm having a hard time deciding what my WIP is. I started a sixth novel but haven't worked on it in awhile. I've decided to go back to book five and give it more spit and polish. So, is book five my WIP or six?

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. That sounds intriguing, DL! And appropriately horrifying. Definitely notice the influence of Stephen King's IT, but I've never read ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD.

    I really like the name Chace. One very minor picky point: it should be Giddens, not Gidden's (plural, not possessive).

    I think you're all very brave to post an excerpt from your WIP online.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Duh. I meant to say a synopsis of your WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sounds deliciously spooky!! Although I'm a bit of a wimp... :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. Argh! I missed the chance to WIP it! Totally forgot it was last Friday :(

    I love the sound of IT. Especially the dark and malevolent evil, preying on people at their most vulnerable. Eery and exciting. It's been far too long since I've read a horror story!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love how your synop starts out with all the stats about moving! It really give this horror its own distinctive flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sounds really good! Best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thanks so much for this fun blogfest! I've succeeded in commenting on everyone who participated (a handful of links led to blogs that hadn't put up a WiP It post...), and they've all featured such diverse stories!
    Yours sound really neat - scary but thrilling at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  51. That sounds intense...and creepy!

    ReplyDelete

 

Archives

Blog Blitz

Design by: The Blog Decorator